Monday, June 27, 2011

Allergic

We woke up on Saturday morning and got all ready to head to the farmer's market.  We were going to take Bennett to the splash park downtown after.  Neil and I were dressed and ready when Bennett finally woke up.  Our plans changed when we woke up with a swollen face and feet and had a little rash on his body.  We opted for the doctor!  We switched doctors this week and already went on Monday.  Bennett had a runny nose and gunky eyes so she put him on Amoxicillin.  We headed to the doctor on Saturday morning to have him checked out.  The worst part was that he would not walk.  He kept saying "my feets hurt!"  If we tried to put him down, he would go to his knees.  Poor thing!


Saturday morning
We kept Bennett in the bed with us on Saturday night because we wanted to be able to hear if his breathing changed or anything like that.  Well, he woke up Sunday morning looking 1,000 times worse.  Almost unrecognizable!

My sweet boy's face was so swollen

This was his back on Sunday morning.  This is what his entire body looked like.  It reminded me of this time when he had the same thing.



We headed back to the doctor on Sunday morning to get another look.  The doctor came in and immediately told us that it was a drug rash.  I could tell that he felt bad about telling us it was bug bites the day before.  He was very compassionate and even let Bennett play with his stethoscope and "flashlight."  He decided to give Bennett a shot of celestone. I was so glad to hear this because our last doctor never did one thing about his week long rash. They never even had a name for it or could tell us what it was. We now know that he is allergic to omnicef and penicillin.  We will not be taking any chances with those antibiotics!

Bennett was feeling like himself and looking so much better right before bed on Sunday!  I am so glad!


just a few splotches!


big muscles!
Our new doctor even had the nurse call us this morning to check on Bennett.  It was such a nice surprise to have such a caring doctor!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Poor little Bennett. I cannot believe his reaction to the medication. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... that would have scared the mess out of me! So glad Bennett is doing better! I bet he was so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Bennett! I had forgotten about the last time he had that awful rash! Was he on amoxicillin then too? So glad he is feeling better and so glad that you like the new doctors! That is awesome that they even called to check on him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I can't believe that was not figured out the first time he had a reaction. I feel so bad for him. That had to be miserable but I'm so glad they figured out that it was the antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH WOW!!! That is terrible! I Cannot IMAGINE what on earth you were feeling when you saw your sweet boy like that!!! So glad he is feeling better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...poor baby!! I am SO glad y'all figured out what was causing this horrible rash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH no! That is scary! I am allergic to penicillin also & that happened to me when I was little & I have never tried to take it again. So glad they figured it out & it may take him a little longer to get over little colds and stuff, but it is much better than having horrible reactions! So happy he is feeling better! Those last few pics are so cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...