Saturday, March 6, 2010

Happy 20 years Dad!

On Saturday, my dad celebrated 20 years of sobriety. We are so thrilled about this because we know the consequences of alcoholism. Alcoholism is a disease. I had no idea of this until I went to years of AA meetings and Ala-teen meetings. I didn't go because I wanted to...it was just part of my childhood. I look back and think "how sad" that it was that I had to see all of that and hear stories of drunken people at meetings. My dad's only brother died of the very same disease. Talk about scary. In 2010...I am happy! I am so glad that I have been able to see my dad stop drinking and then later on in life stop smoking. AA or "the program" (as they call it) is such a great place for people who suffer from alcoholism. It has given my dad a community that he can call on anytime. I am so glad that he is a friend of Bill Wilson.

So on Saturday, we celebrated 20 years of sobriety! His friends really made him feel special. Carolyn surprised him by tying balloons to his lamp post. He wanted Bennett to come over and see them.

A couple weeks ago, I sent out an e-mail to people to try to get my dad 20 cards for his 20 years. It was overwhelming. He received more than 20! I sent the e-mail to a guy that he graduated high school with and he sent it out to all of the Fair Park graduates. A lady from Washington sent him one, too. How neat!

The Thigpens had about 30 people over for hamburgers and cake. Tommy was the grill master.

Here are some of my dad's friends. Bill, Bill, Mr. & Mrs. Wakeman, and Carolyn.

Dad, Bennett, and me.
Here are Tommy, Trish, and Dad. Trish is our long time close friend.


Here's the cake. If you didn't already know this...I LOVE number cakes.


Here are my sweetest boys.
Congrats Dad!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a wonderful celebration!!!! Looks like you all really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! That was such a good idea to have his friends send cards. I'm sure he really appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...