Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Upholstery Ain't my Thang

I found this awesome tutorial on how to make a "simple" upholstered headboard.  It looked so easy and fabulous.  I decided that I better go ahead and make one.  I took pictures of our existing furniture set and put it on Craig's List and Facebook.  It sold in about 3 days and were left with a mattress on a frame.

I got this idea while I was still a stay-at-home mom and planned to have it done long before I went back to work.  This plan did not happen.  We  finally went and bought all the stuff (wood, foam, buttons, batting, fabric, etc.) and got to work.  It took about 50 different days to get it done.  I even took pictures of all of our hard work in hopes to post a tutorial.  I am laughing just thinking about what my tutorial would look like. :)
I have too many stories about trying to make this dang headboard.  And none of them have to do with actually succeeding at making said headboard until this last one where I decided to call in the experts...Ed's Upholstery!

I was at my wits end when I bought the wrong buttons, called Connie and asked her how to make buttons, bought new buttons, Janine helped me fix my buttons, and then couldn't get the buttons on the headboard.  I called Ed and he was so sweet.  He had the entire thing done in 1 week and didn't charge very much.  He even had to drill new holes and re-tighten the mess I had made.  He asked me if I wanted his to fix it for me and I said "do you think it needs it?"  He replied with "yes, it do need it!"  Thanks, Ed!

So, long story short I should have just bought the one I wanted from West Elm.  We are too invested in ours to buy one now.  I am really happy with the way it turned out.  Neil added some 2x4 action to the back and it is now beautifully place behind our bed.

I took this picture with my phone and now that I have my camera handy..my bed is not made! So here is the phone picture!
I am really proud of it!  Just need to get that sham, window treatments, bed skirt, and walls painted.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! At least your tried to do it yourself. I tried upholstery to and it's not my thing either:).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...