Monday, April 30, 2012

Prom 2012 was just like Rabb's 2003

I got home on Saturday night from Dallas for the social event of the season...CSHS Prom 2012: French Quarter Soiree'.  I was happy to chaperon the event because I love seeing my students all gussied up in their best.  

I dressed my date in his tuxedo t-shirt and we headed to the dance.  We got there early and most of the kids were sitting around the dance floor listening to the music, tapping their feet, and holding hands. It reminded me of that scene out of Grease where the girls were sitting there just waiting to be asked to dance.  Bennett was thrilled to be there.  He was a dancing machine.  We even busted out some totally rocking break-dancing skills.  He certainly doesn't get his mad moves from me!

About 30 minutes into the dance, the place started hopping and it started to remind me of Rabb's!  Sweaty people "dancing or grinding...whatever you want to call it to loud, hip-hop music.  For those 2 of you that read this blog that don't know what Rabb's is...it was the "late bar" in Ruston.  Rabb's was also the only bar that stayed open until 2 am when everything else closed at midnight.  Did I mention that Rabb's was also the nicest steakhouse in town?  Yes, the restaurant moonlights as a club(I use this word loosely) with a totally fabulous dance-floor/deck equipped with heaters in the winter.  Anyway, Rabb's was sure to play the best hip hop music of the season with some old favorites.  One of my favorite memories was that the last two songs of the night were always slow ones.  I assume that this was to have a little romantic part of your evening before you went home.  The best part of prom that took me back to my glory days of Rabb's extraordinaire was that they played "Baby Got Back" and  "Get Low!"  "Get Low" was one that all of us Sigma Kappas used to sing and even had a choreographed dance to.   Man, we were awesome!

Bennett and I were dancing and they'd say "touch your toes" and he would do it and then "get low."  And then I realized what all the words meant and I just felt totally wrong dancing and singing this song with my 3 year old!!   We still had a great time and I can't wait to take him next year!


It's almost just like New Orleans!



This is what I call reverse-sagging.

Bennett was so excited that John John was there!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I love this post! Everything about it...Did Bennett learn his dance moves from Neil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from Kelly's Korner. Your boys are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the Rabb's reference! We only went for concerts and I always felt so nasty when I left ha:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...