Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Eat'm Up Eat'm Up, Chomp Chomp!

I'm just going to start off by saying that I got a Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Ec) teaching position at Captain Shreve High School, my alma mater, on Monday! I am more than thrilled because it is really hard to get a first time teaching position at such a good school.

Let me tell you the journey that I have been on to get this job.

It all started back on January 16, 2008. I only remember the date because it was my birthday. I took off work to go to an interview at United Way. The interview went really well and I was overqualified for the position. I also volunteered on different committee's for United Way. I just knew I had the job! Well long story short...I didn't get it. I couldn't understand why.

3 short months later I was pregnant! One reason why I think I didn't get that United Way job is because I would not have had the insurance or the pay to help out with our arrival. I still wanted to work in the non-profit field though.

Fast-forward to March 2009. I get back to work the day after maternity leave and I am laid off! I know I should have been sad. But, I just knew it was going to be a blessing because I had been so bored at work for 2 straight years! I was always looking for other jobs because I was never challenged and always trying to create "work" for myself.

The lay-off helped me to be able to go back to school to be a teacher. It was just what I needed to nudge me back into school...something I have been wanting to do for years now! I really like that I have been able to have the summer off with my baby. I like that I have been able to take 9 hours this summer to get some classes out of the way before I start teaching.

I like that I am the newest addition to the faculty at Captain Shreve! I am so excited that I will be working with one of my former teachers...Mrs. White. I have already talked to her twice today. She is already so helpful. She told me that I could use any of her stuff too. We will go meet with our Family and Consumer Sciences supervisor next Thursday! Everything has just fallen into place!

All this to say: You can't see it when you are going through it! (Thanks Erinn!) God had a total different plan for me. I would not have chosen to be laid-off or anything else. He knew what I needed and it is so cool to be able to step back and see what he did for me.

On a different note...Look what my friend, Merideth left on my door step today!!! A huge bag of Gator Goodies. I am going to get the bag monogramed with "Mrs. Lewis" on it! She gave me a t-shirt too, but it is in the washer!

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you!!! What a great class to teach! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am awesome story! yeah Mrs. Lewis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy for you now I just need a job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! Way to go after something that you want and GET it!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all worked out Lindsey. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...