Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 1 of summer didn't go as planned


For the past 3 summers along with the Buteau's have gone blueberry picking during the first week of summer.  This year was supposed to be no different.  I called the farm to see when we could pick and they said the day after Memorial Day would be fine.  Well, no.  We got a crew ready to go (Erin even brought Maddie to me to go with us) and were let down.  The blueberries were not ripe so we couldn't go!

We decided to still make it a fun day by going to the library and Kiddie Mia's.  I loaded up Maddie, Henry, and Bennett and we got to the library.  They colored and played and "read" books.  Henry ran through the shelves and knocked all the books down.  He is a wild child!  Bennett and Maddie colored gnomes that you take around with you during your summer adventures and then send the pictures you take to the library.


Henry and Maddie (Cute outfit thanks to B and B)


After about an hour of reading/coloring/playing, we were done with the library and needed a new place to go.  We all walked out to the library parking lot hand in hand.  I was holding Henry's hand as we walked when he decided to just sit down in the middle of the parking lot.  I felt something snap in his wrist and knew something was wrong.  He cried for a little bit but not too much as we made our way to Kiddie Mia's.  I called Neil and told him what happened and he said I was just overreacting and being paranoid.  I called the doctor anyway!  They told me that they were leaving to go make rounds and wouldn't be back until 2pm.  They just told me not to let him use his arm if he didn't want to and to go to the ER if I thought he needed it.  After calling Neil, Erin D, and Dad we decided I could wait until 2.  The whole time at Kiddie Mia's I just held Henry while he watched the big kids play.  He ate a ton of pizza while favoring his left arm.  He just kept it very close to him.  Ugh, I felt awful!  Pops met us at Kiddie Mia's long enough to give Maddie and Bennett $5 for the games.

We left Kiddie Mia's and headed to Buttercups so the kids could get cupcakes with their gnomes.  Henry was not crying at all and seemed to be enjoying the fun.  It was weird.  We dropped Maddie off at her KK's house and headed to the doctor at 1:45.  I wanted to be the first one there!
gnomes at Buttercups
Gnomes at Kiddie Mia's
So, Dr. Carroll came in and said Henry had nursemaid's elbow.  Ugh.  I suck.  I felt like the crappiest most terrible mother ever.  I just knew that CPS was going to be called because both of my boys have had arm injuries at the same age, during the summer, with only me on duty.  The worst was having to hold Henry's arm down for the x-ray and while she was twisting it to get it back in place.  Henry whined a little bit, but was a tough little boy.  I think it was more traumatic on me than him.  

everything looks just as it should...no fracture..thank God!

Since she couldn't get his arm back in place we had to be referred to an orthopedist.  Neil was able to meet us and I was so glad.  He was able to get us all calmed down.  They finally called our name and we headed to the back.  Dr. Mead checked out the x-ray and then popped it back in place.  We heard the pop he was as good as new.  He really acted like nothing even happened and I sobbed through the whole thing!  We walked out and Gammy was waiting in the waiting room for us.  The boys were so glad to see Gam Gam!  About 10 minutes after his arm was back in place, Henry was running around like his regular old self. Henry was such a trooper and Bennett was too.  Bennett was so patient and so helpful during our doctor's visits.  I am so thankful for these two boys I get to raise...even if I am a total basket-case part of the time!  

After the craziness, I was set to deliver meals to a few people.  Here I am with baby Jude-Noah from Haiti.  Talk about a precious little angel!

Jude-Noah and me


1 comment:

  1. Reading this just made my Buttercups all the more delish. I CANNOT believe you still had the energy to bring us food after that traumatic event. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...