Friday, August 6, 2010

Tough Day

Today was a rough day. We woke up too early and just sort of hung out in our pjs. I wasn't feeling too great so Bennett and I just watched some Sesame Street and ate breakfast. We were going to go meet the Montgomerys and Buteaus at Eastridge to swim until our plans were suddenly changed. Bennett and I were starting to get ready to get our swim gear on when he fell off our bed. We were both just lying on the bed, but as 19 month olds do...he was up jumping around and stumbled off the edge of the bed. I was sitting right next to him and there was nothing I could do. His arm was in a compromising position between the wooden frame of the bed and the mattress. It was scary. I just started screaming. I was trying to not get too emotional so I wouldn't scare him. I took him to his room to get him dressed and I could just tell something wasn't right. He would try to lean on his left arm to to get toys and would wince and scream each time. It started swelling at the elbow really quickly. I ran and got the phone and immediately fell to pieces. I called Neil, but got no answer so I called the doctor. They told me they couldn't hear me over Bennett's crying and asked if I would put him down. I just didn't want to put him down after such a traumatic event! Then, they said they couldn't understand me so to just bring him in. I hurried to put on some shoes and put him in his carseat. I think my heart was beating like crazy. I was still in pjs and looked pretty rough. I drove us to the doctor calling my mom and Neil on the way. I don't even know how I made it to the doctor. I was thinking yesterday that I don't even remember taking the appropriate turns or anything. Glad we made it safely. We arrived at the doctor and a girl that I teach with happened to be there and she opened the door for us. Thanks Katie!

We got in and they immediately put us in a room. Mom and Neil arrived literally 2 minutes after we got there. I don't know how they got there so fast! Neil said he didn't know if Bennett even had an arm as bad as I sounded! Bennett just stayed cuddled up next to me the whole time. He was being so brave. I was acting like a total baby...I just could not stop crying thinking that I let this happen to my baby. Bennett got to have a couple suckers and they seemed to help him feel better. My entire shirt was soaked with slobber, tears, and medicine. It didn't matter! I just wanted to find out what was wrong. Neil took Bennett to get his x-ray. Dr. Cockrell came back and showed us the x-ray. They decided that he had broken his humerus bone (the bone above his elbow). I was shocked! I just thought it was a bad bruise. She called around to get us in to an orthopedic doctor. We headed to Bossier to be seen by Dr. McAlister.

Dr. McAlister had some great news for us. He said that he did not think he needed surgery! Praise the Lord! I don't know if I could have dealt with that! So, he and the nurse put on a navy blue cast. Bennett was such a good boy. Neil held him and he didn't even cry. The doctor was so complimentary of him being such a big boy. He didn't try to move around or wiggle away from them. During the casting, the doctor asked me if I wanted to go leave the room and get a coke...I guess I was a complete mess! The staff at the office kept coming in to see his tiny baby cast. They said they haven't done a cast that tiny is ages. Everyone kept saying how cute he looked.



Neil was so good to us today. He took care of us all day long. He went and got my prescription, some markers to sign Bs cast, and whatever else we needed. He even bathed Bennett! We love you Daddy!

He loves having his cast signed. He will bring the pen to you and pretend to write. He also likes to play 'knock knock' on it. He will tap it and say "knock knock!"



We are so thankful for all of our family and friends that have called to check on us and come to help. Please pray for a smooth and quick healing of his arm. I am so thankful that Bennett is so healthy and we don't endure scary things like this all the time.

Neil went and got Bennett the little stuffed Elmo to make him feel better. He is so popular with all of his cast signatures...Mommy, Daddy, Gam, Pops, Uncle Checkers, Amy, and Sarah all signed.

I took the pictures while Neil bathed the sweet boy. The cover was pretty easy to put on and did a great job of keeping the water out!

11 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this! i was wondering what you did - call the doc vs call 911. i probably would have panicked and called 911! at least you were cool enough to just call the doc! glad he's ok and you're all home and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! I'm glad Bennett was a trooper and I wish I could sign his little cast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW! Sweet boy! Lindsey, I would be the same way and my babies are not even her yet.
    I am so glad Bennett was such a tropper! He really does look cute with his little cast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor poor Bennett :(
    I hope he has a quick heal. And I hope Momma feels better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless his heart! I know how scary that can be and teared up reading the post. He looks precious in his cast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad bennett is OK now. that would be so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart! That's so scary - I think I would have been a mess too. I'm so sorry you and Bennett had to go through all that. I'll keep him in my prayers for a quick recovery of that sweet arm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor baby- and poor mama! You are an awesome mum, Lindsey ;-) God bless and lots of love, Fifi ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you Bennett!! So glad you still made it to celebrate....now about that green cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe! Poor thing! You did great even though I'm sure it was so scary! He looks so cute in his little cast & I bet he is loving all the special attention! Hope things heal quickly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. as a fellow momma, this post almost made me cry. i can't imagine how terrified you were! he looks super cute in that cast though :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...