Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shrove Tuesday

We attended Shrove Tuesday at our church last week.  All I knew is that they were going to have a pancake supper and an activity for the kids.  It turned out to be so much more.  I was really impressed with all of the planning and fun they put into this event.  The event was totally centered around teaching kids about Christ and Easter.  I learned a lot as well!  They taught us that "shrove" is derived from "shrive" which means to confess.  Shrove Tuesday used to be a time of repentance, but now has changed into a day of celebration feasting before fasting during Lent.

We had delicous pancakes while they told us the schedule of activities.  The kids got to decorate Mardi Gras masks.  Bennett loves getting to see Cousin Connor at church.

Connor and Bennett
The kids made mini king cakes and learned what the colors mean along with the Christian significance.
Neil helping Bennett ice his king cake

Great job on that king cake, buddy!  The teachers asked a bunch of questions and  I could tell that Bennett was getting Easter and Christmas confused.  I am just glad that he recognizes!  But, they said something about Jesus and where he was and Bennett yelled out "Bethlehem!"
The next station was "Jesus Twister." I don't know if that's the real name of the game, but that's what I called it.  We got to hang out with Shep and Caroline, too!
It was a little confusing to a 3 year old when they said "Right hand, purple robe" and the purple robe square was green. They didn't care...it was still  fun1
The next station was "The Lord's Supper."  I was so impressed with all of our kids.  They listened to every word the teacher said.  They did a great job taking communion and learning about each part.  
This is a great picture for the Lewis family calendar!

Does this just melt your heart or what?  Bennett took the bread and held it in his had until she came around with the wine.  I was so worried he wasn't going to sit there, but he did and was wonderful.  I asked him later if he remembered taking the Lord's Supper and he said "did I eat Baby Jesus?" Out of the mouths of babes....love it.
The last station was the "tomb."  We all sat in a circle and learned about what happened to Jesus on the cross and that he later rose from the grave.  They gave each child a pencil and had them wrap bandages around it.  They slid the pencils out and had bandages still wrapped left in their hands.  The pencil represented Jesus.  After Jesus rose from the dead, the cloths were sitting perfectly in the tomb. They explained it better than I did right here :)

Our family...I love that we get to experience such special times together!

A couple days ago, Bennett said "Daddy is Joseph, Mommy is Mary, and Henry is Baby Jesus."
I said "Who are you?"
He said "Joseph's big boy!"

3 comments:

  1. That pic of B praying is just precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!!
    I didn't know king cake had Christian significance!! Do tell....What do the colors mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girl! I am going to make a post with this info and link back to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...