Sunday, December 18, 2011

Potty Training might do me in!

Caution: Toilet talk in this post...this might not be for you!

Why is something like going to the bathroom such a big deal?  Ugh.  This is the part of parenthood I have been dreading the most...POTTY TRAINING (and teenage years, but I have 10 years to worry about that!).  I am sure a lot of people think I am crazy for waiting until Bennett turned 3, but I am not.  I know my kid.  Even now, he seems that he can't be bothered with going to the toilet.  But, today we bit the bullet.  I read the 50 page 3-day potty training method and we are trying it.  I've had to mentally prepare myself for staying home for 3 solid days to try and get this done.  We started bright and early at 7:30 this morning.  Bennett went right to the potty and he put on his Batman underwear. We went to the diaper drawer and he got them out and put them in the trash. The manual says to remind your child at least 100 times a day to "tell Mommy when you need to pee" and to give checks like "are you wet or dry?"  We give him a sticker after telling us he has to go, going #1, and another for going #2.  By mid-morning he could care less about the stickers.

Around 8:30 we were sitting on the couch watching TV and I asked him if he was wet or dry...he was wet. Boo.  Fail. I was supposed to catch him having the accident...that's what the manual says.  Well, I was sitting right next to him, but I just cannot stare at his crotch all day long waiting on him to have an accident.  So, we went to the bathroom, cut off the underwear, threw them in the garbage, sat on potty, and got new Superman undies.  The Superman undies made it dry all day.  He never had an accident the rest of the day.  Bennett told us that he had to go and then he ran to the bathroom.  I was so proud!!!  I told my parents how good he was doing.

Bennett in his Superman undies wearing Neil's socks and boots

Around 6, I made dinner and I was sitting right next to him at the table while he ate his dessert.  The next thing I know, the chair is a flood of pee.  Yep, I caught him in the act...sort of!  I took him to the potty and of course, he didn't have anything left to release.  We came back, cleaned up the mess, and I reminded him non-stop to tell me when he had to go.  By bath time he said "I knooooooow!"  Well, apparently you don't little man!  Neil said he felt the same way because we have been asking B the same questions ALL DAY LONG.
He really wanted to hold Henry today.  So sweet.
Now, Bennett is in bed with no diaper or pull-up.  I might change my mind on this if he wakes up with pee everywhere.  The manual says not to use any type of "crutch."  We shall see just how realistic that is.  I just do NOT want to change sheets at 2 am.  Thankfully, Nana picked up a waterproof mattress pad for his bed.

A couple random comments Bennett said today:

"Henry, you don't wear underwear."
"Mommy, I need to potty, you are so proud of me." (I was and am proud!)

DAY 1 down...2 more to go.  Please say a prayer for us!

1 comment:

  1. oh lindsey! i'm dreading it too....that's why i plan to get my mom to train perry :-) i will tell you, one of my good friends did this recently and it was the hardest week for her, but so rewarding in the end! she took away most toys and didn't allow any TV during those days so that he wasn't overly distracted. just a thought for you to consider. i'll be cheering you on and look forward to hearing about his progress! hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...