Monday, July 30, 2018

Lady Liberty and Ellis Island

We knew we wanted to go see the Statue of Liberty even though my brother said it was a waste of time.  I had to keep reminding him that a 9 year old would enjoy it!  Bennett is doing American History this year so I thought this would great for him to see.

We arrived in Battery Park bright and early to get on our boat and headed to Liberty Island.  It was so neat to ride right up next to these islands and see the Statue of Liberty come closer and closer in to view.



SO COOL!
We got out and walked around the island.  We forgot to get the walking tour listening device because we had a one track mind of climbing up on to the pedestal and crown.

We snapped a few pics and then made our way around to the backside of the statue. 



Awesome!  Ready to go inside!

Dad decided to wait on the benches next to where we are standing because he was in so much pain while Bennett and I went in those tents you can see behind us.  That's where you enter to go up in the crown and pedestal!  

So we started to go in the side labeled "Crown and Pedestal" and they asked for our ticket. Ummm, excuse me?  We need another ticket?  Yes, you need the crown and pedestal ticket.  I don't have it, but I will get it right now online.  Sorry, Ma'am. They've been sold out for 2 months.  Ummm K. 

I was so disappointed! I didn't see it anywhere that we needed an additional ticket.  Oh well. So, we bought foam statue hats for the kids and took a really cheesy tourist pic by her backside.  

Leaving Liberty island and heading to Ellis Island!

Bennett and I picked up our listening device and headed on our tour.  Dad sat in the baggage room while we went on the 3 story tour.  Poor dad was hurting!

This is the registry room where everyone coming to America was registered. Makes sense.

This is where people would have to sleep if they had to be held over for any reason. 
 I didn't take lots of pictures at Ellis Island, but let me say that it was AMAZING!  It was so interesting.  We didn't miss a room.  We saw everything from the markings they would write on your coat if you looked sick or had a mental illness to the fancy possessions of some of the immigrants who came from all over the world.  I am so glad we did this fantastic tour!
Ellis Island and me

Bennett with Lady Liberty in the background



Dad and the Cityscape. You can see Freedom Tower towering over all the land!

We got off the boat and were immediately hounded by caricature artists!  He said $5!  I said OK!  

He finished Bennett's picture and his wife said "$30 with the frame."  

I said "you said $5 and we don't need the frame."  

She said "it will smudge how about $25"

I said "you said $5 and we don't need the frame."  

She said "$20."

Me. "No"

She said "$15."

I said "ok."

They got me.

He was not impressed with his portrait!

After the statue we headed to the Financial District.   Here are Dad and Bennett on Wall Street

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...