Thursday, July 26, 2018

Charleston Carriage Tour and Culinary Tour

We woke up bright and early and headed out on our carriage tour.  We toured a sweet little part of Charleston near the water.  We went by Rainbow Row, the battery, and even the house that was Allie's parent's house in the Notebook. 



Here we are with Rocky the horse.

The Notebook House
Carriaging


 After our carriage tour, we had a little snack at Bitty and Beau's, Bennett went swimming, and we walked through the Charleston City Market.  I picked up a few tubs of body butter made in Charleston for souvenirs.  I had a hard time finding things in the market actually MADE there.  So, I was really picky about that body butter!
City Market

Bitty and Beau's was fab!  They hire people with disabilities and they are cashless.  Dad could not understand why they didn't take cash.  It's so hard on these baby boomers.
 After we rested and Bennett swam, we went on our culinary tour!  We began at Eli's table with Sweet Potato Pancakes, Chicken and Waffles, and Shrimp and Grits.  YUM-o
Sweet Potato Pancake

Chicken and Waffles

Shrimp and Grits

Our tour guide "Hoon" was entertaining.  Bennett loved it.

Bennett and Pops at Bitty and Beau's

We went to another place that I can't remember and had a tuna cake with olive dirt.  Basically they char olives and then grind them up to make the olive dirt.

Let me preface with this was not a Charleston Ghost Tour. It was a food tour.  Our tour guide knew we had a kid on the tour as there were only 12 people in our group.  Hoon starts talking about ghosts and diphtheria.  He started making wheezing, choking noises to tell what diphtheria does to KIDS.  (while my kid was listening).  I gave Hoon the CUT IT OFF sign by swiping my hand across my neck, but he would not stop.  He then tells us that families had to take the kids down to the river to do the unthinkable to let their kids die with dignity.  KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

After we left Bennett kept worrying that he could get diphtheria and have leather neck.  I can't.  Yes, I wrote the company when they asked for feedback.

Our 3 sto was my least favorite.  We had she-crab soup (made from only female crabs because they use the fish eggs), and
jambalaya.  It was not Louisiana style jambalaya.

Another story from the food tour was our last stop!  Dessert!  Woohoo!  Or so we thought.  The server came around and took our drink orders.  It was slow, but we weren't worried.  Hoon went to check on our waters, at least.  They didn't have our banana pudding ready either.  Next thing we know is our server with her stuff and skateboard walking out the door.  Hoon said "do you know when or waters will be out?"  She said "nope" and left!  SHE QUIT!

So, we got the OK to walk to Carmela's.  We got to have the most delish yellow cake with chocolate icing! Good with me.  I like it better than banana pudding.


Bennett still had banana pudding that Pops got for him!

Dad, Hoon, me and B

Culinary tours are a GREAT way to see a new city.  I've done them in San Francisco, NYC, two in Charleston, and Dallas.  Charleston and Dallas have been my faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...