Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Crunching the Numbers

Now that I am back to work full time it really makes me think about the time like ACTUAL hours I am with my people.  I love being with my husband and kids so much and sometimes work gets in the way of that.

It got me thinking.

I am at work with 150 other kids everyday 5 days a week for 40 hours a week.  I leave work at 4pm and get Bennett and then we make a 1 hour round trip picking up Henry and getting home.  We are usually home together starting at 5pm and the kids go to bed by 8...so I am with my family 3 hours a day for a total of 15 hours a week.  I don't even include the morning because we are just running 90 to nothing to get out of the house!  40 at work and 15 at home  hmmmmmmm...

So, it brings up the question... Am I doing the right thing?

Yes, we need my income and insurance.

Yes, I enjoy my job.

Yes, I like that my kids are easy with adjusting to new environment of daycare/school.

And yes, we would like to win the lottery so we can all be home together (Neil included).  Considering we don't play the lottery I doubt that will happen! :)

As I am typing this, I see that I guess I am doing the right thing.  I will work until I retire after 20 years of service.  Only 17 more to go!

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me sad because I know how much you would love to spend more time with your boys. You are doing what is best for your family right now and one day Bennett and Henry will realize you work to give them the greatest life they could ask for. I know they will be so proud that you are able to work AND be the best mommy to them! I also know that your students are blessed to have you in their lives as well! Hang in there..2.5 more months until SUMMER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done those same calculations in my head on numerous occasions. I've still not gotten past it b/c I continue to do it to myself every so often but I do know it is not healthy for me to dwell on it. We just have to look at the quality of the time we spend with our husbands & children & know that we are doing the best we can at this time... I am glad to know that other working mom's feel the same way as I do!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to see the actual numbers written down. I guess I could add an extra hour to the time I see my kids...so I'm up to 20 now. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that soon they will be in elementary school and won't really realize our absence. I wish it wasn't for money/insurance reasons. Because no doubt I'd stay home with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...