Monday, December 10, 2018

Bennett and the Social Studies Fair

I am going to start off by saying that Bennett made a 100% on his SS project.  Way to go, Bennett!

The rest of this process was the absolute bane of my existence.  They say to let the kids choose the topic so they will be interested...I did that.  They say you should let the kids write a research paper.  They say they need to make a board AND A MODEL for the project.  It is such a great learning experience for the family.

What I learned: 

My next two kids aren't choosing some topic that is way out of their league, too mature for them, or something with not one bit of information about the topic.  Bennett had all out melt-downs over this topic as we "researched." It was too mature for him as it involves bidding and gambling.  Too much.

Fourth graders don't know how to do research papers.  Yes, it is a wonderful idea for them to try.  But, the idea of students doing this totally on their own is so, so hard.  This was a huge source of frustration for Bennett and me.

The board and model is very pricey...if you want it to look decent.  We happened to have the football men for the model and made the goalposts out of skewers, but the board, border, fake grass (optional), fake money, and ancillary items were $$$! Oh, and my kid doesn't know how to put it together and would have serious hissy fits when trying.



I am so proud of my Bennett's board! :)



This was the most excited he was throughout the whole process!

HECK YES!  It's turned in and done!

I am not complaining AT ALL about anything related to Bennett's teacher.  She was absolutely amazing through this process.  She helped EVERY child and even answered my questions.  I believe projects like this are a great way to learn about a topic.  It is just unrealistic to think that nine year olds will sit down and write a research paper.  At least my nine year old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...