Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Family Produce Trading

For a while now my dad and his cousins have been meeting in Longview for dinner and produce trading.  Sound a bit old fashioned to you? It's not.  It's a good time for them to talk hunting, food, and land.  They talk a little about the good ole days and enjoy each other's company.  I'm just glad Henry and I went along for the ride yesterday.

Denny grows lots of vegetables in his garden.  Don picks up Noonday onions every year.  My dad just eats the stuff.  We met Denny at the truck stop in Greenwood and all piled in to meet Don in Longview.  All of us Louisianians drove to Texas to eat at a Louisiana "cajun" restaurant. 

They commented the entire time about how well behaved Henry was and how he was a "good little rascal."  I was so proud.  

Denny brought a box of tomatoes for each of them and Don brought a bag of onions for each.  I reaped the benefits because my dad picked up the check and I have a big bowl full of fresh tomatoes and onions to show for our trip.  I see a Tomato Pie in our future!

Denny, me/Henry, Don, and Dad

Denny with his bag of onions and my dad

3 comments:

  1. bahaha...i love how you said your dad just eats the stuff! I bet the produce is so good. I think produce trading sounds very distinguished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! We have swapped produce (some that we got from the farmer's market) with our 85 year old widowed neighbor. She just talked about how it reminded her of old times growing up on the farm & everyone would divide what they had! It seems like such community! Little Henry is so cute, glad he was a "good little rascal!" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...