Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Learning Center

For the past few months, I have been feeling that God wanted me to get involved with the Crisis Pregnancy Center. I kept feeling constant urges and gentle nudges to do more for pregnant teens. I kept ignoring these nudges and was straight up being disobedient. I kept saying "I don't have time for this or I don't need one more thing added to my plate!" Well, God had a different plan in mind for me. One day I finally called the CPC and they were thrilled at the thought of having a new volunteer. It is not feeling like extra work, it just feels like this is what I am supposed to do. I will begin teaching "Life Skills" classes and planning special events for the center beginning in April. I am so excited to get involved with this new ministry! Why is it so hard to trust and obey sometimes?

Since it is a non-profit, donation funded ministry, I will need donations for my classes. I think it is great that they don't accept money from the government so that they can keep is a Christian values based ministry. I sent the following e-mail to my family and friends. If you would like to get involved...please contact me!



Dear Family and Friends,

I recently started getting involved with the Learning Center (a branch of the Ark-La-Tex Crisis Pregnancy Center). This is a wonderful faith-based ministry that allows pregnant teens and families to take classes and earn "merits for mom." The students are invited to "Earn while they Learn." If they take classes, read books, attend church, attend doctor appointments, etc they can earn items for their babies. The Learning Center has an in house boutique with maternity clothes, baby clothes, diapers, car seats, strollers, etc. As they earn merits, they can purchase items needed from the boutique. This is a wonderful ministry and I am excited to share it with you! One thing the staff at the Learning Center wants to teach is ways to have good, clean fun with your families. I have decided to plan an Easter celebration and a Mother's Day gathering for the center for this reason. I would love to have help with these if you are interested.

I will begin teaching "Life Skills" classes there on Thursday afternoons from 4:30-5:30 beginning in April. Some of the subjects include basic cooking, renting an apartment and selecting colors, meal planning, grocery shopping, memory keeping, time management, and house cleaning. In order to make my classes work, I am asking for donations. If you have anything you are not using, please consider donating! Here are some specifics that I am requesting:

  • measuring cups and spoons
  • George Foreman grills or similar
  • microwaves
  • craft paint
  • paintbrushes
  • colored cardstock or construction paper
  • scrapbooking supplies
  • old cookbooks
  • folders with brads and pockets to create “Life Skills” handbook
  • Any craft supplies (markers, colored pencils, scissors, etc.)
  • Gently used or new baby items

Easter Celebration on April 23rd:

  • Easter Baskets
  • Easter grass
  • candy filled plastic eggs
  • Easter craft supplies
  • Someone to dress up like Easter Bunny
If you would like to help this awesome ministry please e-mail me or leave a comment. Thanks so much!

5 comments:

  1. CPC is such a wonderful ministry! so happy to see you getting involved. God will definitely use your gifts to bless these girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat thing Lindsey! I have the email saved and I will look over the supplies and see what I can get you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing you are doing! I will gather some items and get them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey, this is wonderful news! My mother-in-law volunteers with CareNet in New York, which is also a Christian Crisis Pregnancy Center. You are truly an inspiration. I wonder if there is something similar that I can volunteer at in Germany!? Hugs and love, Fi xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey I have a some old southern living cookbooks that i was about to give to goodwill. if you want them i can try to meet up with you one day? this may not be possible and you may not want the help but think you could use an apprentice volunteer one day? i would love to check out what you are doing there (serious). mindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...