Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Henry's Growth Hormone Stim Test

Since Henry was 3 our doctor has noticed that he wasn't growing at the correct rate.  Not sure about all the ins and outs because I am not a medical professional.  At age 3 he had only grown 1 inch since age 2.  She ordered an MRI, Bone Age, and a few other tests.  Thankfully, everything came back normal.  We just continued to have growth checks every 6 months to check progress because he was not on the growth chart for height.  We assume it's because I am short and so is Neil.

At age 5 we started seeing a pediatric endocrinologist.  She sent us to a pediatric GI doctor who was so rude, run a million expensive tests, and it all came back normal.  He literally had a sign in his office that said you could not change diapers in his office!   He is a GI doc so that has to do with poop and pediatric has to do with kids so I was a little shocked.  I called his office to get the millions of tests results and they wouldn't give them to me unless I went in for an appointment.  I called our pediatrician's office who told me everything was normal.  UGH!  He would rather charge me for an appointment and make me wait a week to know if my kid was OK then just let me know my baby was OK.  Not right.

So we are back at the Endo and she sees us every 4 months. She ordered a Growth Hormone Stimulation Test.  This is the only way to check to see if you are growth hormone deficient.   This was an all day affair where they inserted an IV and took blood from him every 30 minutes for 4 hours.  Thankfully one of the medicines they gave him made him drowsy.  He slept the whole time and didn't even know they wanted his blood.  

When they first inserted the IV he kept screaming "I want my blood back!  Give me back my blood!"  Sweet thing.

Our Tough Guy!





We got to the hospital at 7:30 am.  This test took 5 months to schedule so we were happy to arrive that early to get it done!  We were so happy Daddy was with us!  After Henry fell asleep, Neil went to work.

Sweet thing and Sweet Thang.

This baby tried to stay up to watch TV, but he just couldn't.

Once he woke up he was excited (you can't tell) to finally eat!  He had been fasting since the night before.  He couldn't eat until 2pm.  The test lasted about 6 hours total.

He said he was starving for Chick-Fil-A so we stopped to get him some nuggets.  This was 5 seconds later.

We got home to some fun balloons from Nana and Granddad!  He loved them!

Poor thing trying to finish his CFA!  Notice the nugget in hand.

We got our test results back a week later and everything is just fine!  He is not growth hormone deficient!  We are SO GLAD!  Guess he is just short...ain't nothing wrong with that!  We still have to have check-ups from Dr. Nambam, but I am sure nothing this crazy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments! They make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...